We welcome you to ESMC’s webinar on forced labour in the solar PV supply chain. In this webinar, you‘ll be able to listen to presentations from experts, the European Commission and industry representatives on how to establish a solar PV supply chain without forced labour.
Additionally, you’ll be given the chance to ask questions and engage in discussions with your fellows in the European PV Industry and other stakeholders.
What? ESMC Webinar on forced labour
When? Tuesday September 26th, 2023
Time? 13:00 – 15:00
The program is currently as follows, more speakers may be added:
- 13:00-13:10 Forced labour and how the manufacturing industry should deal with it
Jens Holm, Sustainability Policy Director ESMC.
- 13:10-13:30 In Broad Daylight – Uyghur Forced Labour and Global Solar Supply Chains
Laura Murphy, professor of Human Rights and Contemporary Slavery at Sheffield Hallam University and co-author of In Broad Daylight – Uyghur Forced Labour and Global Solar Supply Chains.
- 13:40-14:00 With Repression and Subsidies
Nyrola Elimä, independent researcher and journalist and co-author of In Broad Daylight, on how China became the world´s no 1 supplier of polysilicon and the human price we pay for it.
- 14:00-14:20 The EU Ban on products made with Forced Labour
Lennart Grundberg, policy officer, the European Commission, present the regulation on prohibiting products made with forced labour on the Union market.
- 14:20-14:30 The EU Ban after the European Parliaments committee vote
Helene de Rengerve, Senior EU-adviser at Anti-Slavery International, present some possible changes to the ban ahead to the committee vote in October.
- 14:30-14:55 How should the solar PV industry work against forced labour?
Discussion with Matthew Kasdin Director and Senior Counsel at Maxeon and Karen Drozdiak, Director for Global ESG and Sustainability at First Solar and Patricia Carrier, Business Engagement Lead for the Coalition to End Forced Labour in the Uyghur Region.
- 14:55-15:00 Where do we go from here?
Johan Lindahl, General Secretary ESMC.