ESMC is the organisation representing the interests of the European PV manufacturing industry. The Council relies on key industrial companies, organisations and research centers active in the PV sector rooted in Europe. ESMC aims at promoting and supporting the PV manufacturing industry and its value chain at the European level, speaking with one voice.
ESMC promotes solar manufacturing made in Europe, the creation of a political environment to support industrial manufacturing and research while maintaining it at the top level globally. It promotes the development and investment in solar technology along the whole value chain (i.e. materials, wafer, modules, inverters and other electronic components) to assist high level system integration as well as production of equipment in Europe.
Our political goals are aligned with open letters signed by many in the PV manufacturing industry in 2017 and 2018.
- Sustainability criteria in publicly supported PV deployment programmes
- Tighter networks between Europe’s PV industry and R&D centers
- Retention of strategically important IP in Europe, especially if developed with European taxpayers’ money
- Reducing financial risks and financial support underwritten or provided by public sources for large-scale manufacturing investments in Europe, including for a possible Franco-German GW-scale initiative under the lead of an industrial company responsible for producing and selling the products
- Market pull policies to support innovative EU-developed technology in European countries
- Integrate the output of multi-GW cells and modules factories with development aid in Africa and other developing countries
Our Working Groups
In order to create a favorable political environment and support the PV manufacturing industry in Europe, the European Solar Manufacturing Council (ESMC) initiated three working groups.
Policy Mapping Working Group
This working group aims at identifying relevant policies (already in place, under development or potential new policies) impacting the PV market demand and more importantly European PV manufacturers.
EcoDesign Working Group
The concrete objective of this Joint Mission Group is to produce an Expert Input Paper with a common position towards the European Commission in the initiative of setting up sustainable product policy instruments (criteria development of the EC policies).
IPCEI Working Group
This working group launched in 2021 will aim at shaping a PV industry IPCEI at European Level bringing together European manufacturers and National Governments with the aim to enable co-financing of PV industry development in Europe